Its sweet flavor is particularly pronounced as a baby leaf, but that sweetness remains even at full maturity. Its long stems are reddish-purple with flat, toothed, dark green leaves, and is surprisingly tender.
RED RUSSIAN KALE WITH GARLIC AND LEMON
PREP TIME 10 mins – COOK TIME 15 mins – TOTAL TIME 25 mins
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 large bunch of red Russian kale, washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup water
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute or until it turns just golden.
- Add kale and stir until kale is fully coated with oil. Add salt, pepper and water. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until kale is soft and tender. Adjust seasonings and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Serve with your favorite meat.
You can order Red Russian Kale at the Arkansas Local Food Network from Arkansas Natural Produce.