Written by Tammy Pope, vendor representative on the ALFN Board and owner of Tammy Sue’s Critters
It’s September, and it really feels like fall. We have been busy in the kitchen whipping up some yummy concoctions with a bit of end of season produce. These side dishes go well with chicken, beef, or seafood. If you have about thirty minutes, you can indulge your taste buds in the deliciousness!
- 3 summer squash, sliced in medallions
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp oregano, dried
- ½ tsp basil, dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Turn on broiler
- Sautee squash in oil until soft over medium heat.
- Add in seasoning and stir well.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
- 4 apples, sliced into thick slices
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon, ground
- 8 Bamboo skewers
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for several minutes
- Prepare grill
- Combine sugar and salt
- Toss apples in sugar-salt combination
- Place on bamboo skewers
- Grill for 5 minutes, until apples start to soften